Sunday, November 11, 2007

11/11 is....

As all Canadians know, November 11th is Remembrance Day: a day to remember and give gratitude to the soldiers who fought in times of war (particularly the World Wars). But lest we forget, all sorts of things are celebrated on every day of the year, some more frivolous than others. South Koreans commemorate the sacrifices of its own soldiers in much warmer weather (June) and in November, decided to eat snacks. November 11th, ie. 11/11, is "Pepero Day" in Korea. Pepero is often called "Korean Pocky" but it's got thinner chocolate coating and skinnier than Pocky ('pepe' is an adverb meaning 'really skinny'). You're supposed to give Pepero to your sweetheart on this day (basically one more excuse to annoy single people). I believe it started in the 90's, and the company took this lovely marketing opportunity and ran with it.

Anyway, I sometimes feel odd about November 11th being both Remembrance Day and Pepero Day. Korean people will chat light-heartedly about Nov. 11th, but it just makes me think of poppies and moments of silence, you know? And as Remembrance Day approaches, I start craving Pepero.

So last year, I decided to commemorate(?) both days. I ate my Pepero, and then made poppies out of the package (I did not mean any disrespect by it). I made three different shapes:



Even as we eat tasty, crunchy, chocolate-covered snacks - we remember.

No comments: